Hospital, Great Yarmouth General, site of



The original hospital was opened on 2nd April 1840. A south wing was added in 1855. Within a few decades a larger building was required, so it was demolished and a new one was erected. Its foundation stone was laid by Edward, the Prince of Wales in 1887 and on the 18th May 1888, it was opened by Sir James Paget, who was born and grew up in Great Yarmouth.


Paget was one of the most famous surgeons in England and was surgeon to Queen Victoria. The hospital architects were Bottle and Olley and the contractor was James Leggett. The building cost £11,000, of which £7,132 was raised by public subscription. In 1898 an extension, providing twelve beds for ladies, was added and a children’s ward was built in 1910.


In later years the hospital extended into St. George’s School behind it to provide a maternity department. Subsequently this became the accident and emergency department. Out-patient clinics were held in a wooden building. The last out-patient clinic was held on 31st December 1981.


In the first week of January 1982 the last in-patients moved to the new hospital, which had been built in Gorleston. Subsequently this was named after James Paget The old hospital stood empty for over two years, while discussions continued about its fate. Eventually, in June 1984, it was sold for £250,000. It was demolished to make way for flats for the elderly.


Second hospital opened 1888

Wards in second hospital opened 1888

Site of the hospital - now St George's Court